SIP trunking is taking the business world by storm, due to the many benefits it can bring. According to recent studies, there is around 45% of business throughout America that is already using SIP trunking. These businesses have reported a 67% increase in sales.
What is SIP Trunking?
SIP stands for session initiation protocol and is a method of sending voice and other associated communication services across the internet. It works with an IP-enabled PBX, which is a private branch exchange. SIP trunking replaces conventional telephone lines or PRIs, primary rate interface.
Long before SIP trunking became popular and reliable for most businesses, telephone calls and voice signals were carried over the public switched telephone networks, also known as a PSTN network. This type of network consists of copper phone lines and is what we think of when we talk about the traditional telephone. The PSTN is a circuit-switched network that requires a physical connection between two points to complete a call.
These SIP trunks are virtual phone lines that permit users to make and receive phone calls over the internet to anyone in the world with a phone number. SIP trunks operate by a packet switch network, meaning that voice calls are broken down into digital packets and sent across a network to the final destination. While this is occurring, there are multiple channels that SIP can be utilized on. In the simplest of terms, a SIP channel is equivalent to one incoming or outgoing call. Each SIP trunk can hold an unlimited number of channels, so individuals only need one SIP trunk no matter how many concurrent calls they expect to receive or make. The only factor that influences the number of channels required solely lands on how many calls a business will make at any one time.
Benefits of SIP Trunking
- This can lower the monthly line & DID Rental – The monthly fee to have a number of lines installed at your office drop significantly with SIP Trunks because of the packages that are offered by choosing this type of system for your business. By making the switch, you will save money in the long run.
- Lower call charges – There are several SIP trunk providers that have driven down call charges significantly. Some SIP trunks even come with unlimited calling while saving on international call charges as well.
- Better customer service – SIP trunking can provide better customer service by adding more geographical and international numbers to a call sheet.
- You can quickly and easily add numbers to your SIP Trunk – If you choose to do this you can also then terminate them on your IP PBX. This will give customers more options to dial in at a significantly lower cost, even long distance.
- If you wish to move offices and keep the same number – SIP trunks are not programmed to a specific location, so it’s easy to move offices without having to change your stationary or inform your customers. There is no longer any need to pay to forward phone calls to the new offices.
- The ability to eliminate VoIP gateways – SIP Trunks will reduce the need to buy and manage VoIP gateways. All phone calls come in from an IP, with no extra conversion.
- Offers plenty of flexibility – It is easy to add channels to your SIP trunk to deal with increased calls. A simple phone call will allow you to add channels, which will be done immediately.
- You will receive the correct number of channels – With SIP Trunks, you can easily choose the correct number of channels that you need depending on how large or small your business is.
Why Should You Choose SIP?
Just as you have read, there are many benefits of getting a SIP for your business. The main benefit is that there will be decreased costs regardless of the number of times you use your phone. In most cases, SIP’s will offer unlimited local and even long-distance calling, depending on what type of bundle you get. SIP providers also allow you to only pay for the channels that you need, which can be added or deleted whenever necessary.
Along with the benefits listed above, there are countless built-in features such as business continuity features, and network consolidation. SIP also offers unified communication features like video, presence, application integration, and instant messaging. The ease of using this system is ideal for all employees and businesses because it doesn’t take an expert to use. A SIP can change with your business over time, allowing all to use its features in the long run.
Selecting the Right SIP Trunk Provider
If you have made the decision to utilize SIP software, the next step is to choose a SIP Trunk provider who will supply all that you need to get started.
- Security – SIP Trunks are exposed to the Internet, making it very important that each trunk has a well-secured network, along with an anti-fraud system in place. The anti-fraud system must monitor the system and provide protection against call fraud.
- Own network – Does this SIP Trunk provider run its own network or is it a rebranded service from an additional provider? There are many providers out there reselling SIP trunks from other companies, so it is best to select a provider that has control over their own services and larger network.
- Competitive Cost – Costs can vary widely between services because some vendors will overcharge for SIP trunks and others will not. It will help to look for competitive rates, but ensure that you are getting business quality SIP trunk service.
- Number Porting – If you are a business who is just getting started and might change locations, this is important. When choosing your provider make sure that you choose a provider who can port all the existing numbers because not all providers are able to do this for all regions.
- Support – Does the provider offer support, and if so, and what is their availability? If a problem arises you want to be able to fix it as soon as possible so that your business doesn’t lose any money.
Upgrading Internet Connectivity For Your SIP
After you have done your research and chosen a proper service provider, you should also look into a more reliable internet connection. Most firewalls are able to handle multiple WAN connections, and considering the low cost of an Internet line for most businesses, a separate VoIP connection will be the most reliable way to ensure the quality of your VoIP calls.
Some SIP trunk providers will bundle their service with a dedicated Internet line, keeping your voice traffic separate from your data traffic. There are cases where this doesn’t happen and much will depend on the cost and your network infrastructure. It would help to check that your firewall is up-to-date and will be capable of handling VoIP traffic correctly before upgrading your internet line.